This article explains the different damage types in EVE and gives a brief overview of the factions in EVE and what damage types they typically deal.
There are four damage types in EVE: Electromagnetic
, and Thermal
The different weapons and ammunitions in EVE inflict one or more of these damage types. Conversely, the shields and armour of different ships will be able to resist these damage types to varying degrees. In general terms, explosive and kinetic damage is better at punching through a ship's armour, while EM and thermal damage is more effective against shields.
Damage types inflicted by different weapon classes
Some weapon types always inflict a particular type of damage; others are more versatile.
- Lasers, favoured weapon of the Amarr, inflict EM and thermal damage. They are usually fitted with frequency crystals, which affect both the range of the laser and the balance between EM and thermal damage inflicted. Lasers are generally more effective against shields than armour.
- Hybrid weapons, most often used by Gallente and Caldari pilots, inflict thermal and kinetic damage. They take hybrid charges; different charges change the range of the weapon and the balance between thermal and kinetic damage inflicted. Hybrid weapons are generally effective against both shields and armour.
- Projectile weapons, used principally by the Minmatar, are the most versatile weapons. They use a broad range of ammunition types and can inflict different combinations of the four damage types depending on the ammunition used. The downside being that you cannot get any specific range for any specific type of damage, but only predetermined combinations.
- Missiles, used primarily by the Caldari, each inflict a single damage type. In each class of missile (light, heavy, etc.) there are four missiles available, one for each damage type.
- Drones, like missiles, each inflict a single damage type. In each drone class (light, medium, etc.), there are four drones available, one for each damage type. Selected Gallente ships offer bonuses for drone users, but all factions have ships equipped with drone bays.
- Smartbombs also inflict a single damage type each. In each size (micro, small, etc.), four smartbomb types are available, one for each damage type. Smartbombs are not specific to any faction.
Damage types inflicted by different factions
The different factions found throughout the EVE galaxy have favoured weapon types. If you know that you will be fighting a particular faction, you may be able to predict the types of damage that they will inflict on you. Fitting modules on your ship to help it resist this damage may mean the difference between defeat and victory.
Although faction ships have favoured weapons, many also carry missiles that may do different damage types. If you know the specific ships you will be up against, you should consult a list of npc damage and resistance types (such as http://eve.grismar.net/rats
- Angel: All types, although mostly kinetic and explosive.
- Amarr Navy: EM and thermal.
- Ammatar Navy: EM and thermal.
- Blood: EM and thermal.
- Caldari Navy: Kinetic and thermal.
- Centii: EM and thermal.
- Coreli: Kinetic and thermal.
- Corpii: EM and thermal.
- Domination: All types, mostly kinetic and explosive.
- Gallente Navy: EM and thermal.
- Gist: All types, mostly kinetic and explosive.
- Gurista: Kinetic and thermal.
- Khanid: EM and thermal.
- Mercenary: All types.
- Mordus: Kinetic and thermal.
- Odamian: Kinetic and thermal.
- Pith: Kinetic and thermal.
- Rogue drones: All types.
- Republic fleet: All types, mostly kinetic and explosive.
- Sansha: EM and thermal.
- Serpentis: Kinetic and thermal.
Main Damage types to use on npc factions:
- Guristas - Kinetic
- Serpentis - Thermal
- Mordus - Thermal & Kinetic
- Blood - EM & Thermal
- Sansha - EM & Thermal
- Angel - Explosive
- Mercenary - Thermal
- Corpum - EM & Thermal
- Gist - Explosive
About the damage resistances, how they are applied and on different ways to improve resistances.
Other relevant sites: